A Snapshot of Two Cities #1

Well hello hello, dear reader, I have some exciting news for you! I have teamed up with fellow blogger Isabel over at Nanjing Nian to create a series of photo-based posts! As you might be able to tell by the title of Isabel’s blog, she is currently located in Nanjing, China. What with me being in little ol’ Melbourne, and inspired by theotherkateberry.com, Isabel thought it might be interesting for us to each take a photo once a week and share them on both of our blogs – and I do too! We will take a snap of whatever happens to catch our eye in our everyday life in our very different (or maybe not so different as we may discover) cities. Hence the name – A Snapshot of Two Cities.

I’m super excited for this project because I’ve been meaning to use my camera more and practice those photography skillz. But also because what a great way to see a different culture! Right from wherever you’re sitting right now. Maybe even whilst wearing your dressing gown. The power of the Interwebs. Crazy stuff. Without further ado, here is the first installment of A Snapshot of Two Cities:

16:13, 20/7/2015, Nanjing, China

I love the expression of the man’s face in Isabel’s photo and also the fact that he’s sitting on what looks like a little kid’s plastic chair, looking pretty chilled. I like to think this is a part of his everyday routine, taking in the news in the afternoon, getting some sun, maybe seeing a couple of neighbours as they walk past, maybe sell some watermelons.

16:49, 20/7/2015, Melbourne

16:49, 20/7/2015, Melbourne, Australia

I went for a walk on Monday, hoping I would stumble across something to take a photo of, when I heard these little cracks and pops. I stopped and looked around me and realised that little seeds and berries were being dropped onto the pavement beside me. I looked up and there were two beautiful rosellas, munching away quite happily. I do love rosellas so much – their colours are so striking and their little chirps are such a classic sound of my suburb.

Hope you like the project as much as we do! I’m looking forward to seeing what we find each week. Big thank you to Isabel for thinking of me and wanting to collaborate with me! Head on over to check out her blog if you haven’t already – you’ll find great writing and see some truly wonderful things as Isabel immerses herself in the Chinese culture.

Jacquie

Lover of books, cacti, tea, and pickles. Was once told by my dentist that I had "exquisite molars". True story.

18 comments

1. Clare

What a fab series this is going to be, I saw the photos on Isobel’s blog and it is so interesting to get snapshots of different places. With me being in the States, you are both miles away!

1. birdandfox

Thanks so much, Clare. I’m really excited to see the different photos we come up with, though I suspect there will be some similarities along the way too! Thanks for the comment ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Emily@squiggleandswirl

What a great idea, good on you both! I love how these photos happen to kind of match colour wise. It will be so much fun for you both seeing what each other comes up with. I will enjoy following along ๐Ÿ™‚

1. birdandfox

Yay! Thanks so much Emily! Yes, I agree with the colours. We also both took our photos on the same day, within the same hour which is kinda funny. Thanks for commenting ๐Ÿ˜€ x

3. Isabel

Yay for collaboration!

1. birdandfox

Haha yes! Yay indeed! So much fun ๐Ÿ˜€

4. RebeccaHJ

Great project! Love these first photos. This is the kind of thing that turns into a book ๐Ÿ™‚

1. birdandfox

Thanks so much, Rebecca! Haha wouldn’t a book be amazing?? But let’s not get too excited just yet ๐Ÿ˜› Thanks for stopping by – glad you loved the photos.

5. Robyna

This is such a fabulous idea. Looking forward to seeing more.

1. birdandfox

Yay, thanks Robyna! Me too. I can’t wait to see more of Isabel’s world and get practice in taking a wider range of photos. Thanks for stopping past!

6. Deb Baker

What a fab idea. I’m really looking forward to following along. I adore getting insights into different cities around the globe. x

1. birdandfox

Thanks so much, Deb! Me too – I’ve been a big fan of theotherkateberry project for a while now and just had to jump at the chance when Isabel emailed me. Thanks for stopping by ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Jasmine

Gorgeous photos & what a fun project this will be. โค๏ธ

1. birdandfox

8. Dawn

Such an awesome idea! I can’t wait to see more. X

1. birdandfox

Yay! Thanks, Dawn! So lovely to see other people are just as excited as I am ๐Ÿ™‚ x

9. Catherine Elizabeth

I’m very excited for this! I love Isabel’s blog and it’s sooooo fascinating to read about/see her adventures that are so different from Melbourne life!
    Your rosellas are adorable, you must have a great walking route ๐Ÿ™‚

1. birdandfox

Me too, Catherine! I can’t wait to see what other parts of the Chinese culture she uncovers for us ๐Ÿ™‚ The rosellas were very sweet! I have a lot of parks near me so we always have a good range of birds that aren’t too hard to spot. Sometimes the rosellas even visit our back yard, which is lovely. They’re super skittish though so I was amazed I got the photo I did. Thanks for your comment, Catherine ๐Ÿ™‚