If you recall, I set myself the challenge on Goodreads to read 50 books this year. Given it’s already over half-way through the year, I figured now would be a good time for an update on my progress and just to have a general chat about the whole dealio. So far, I’ve read 31 books. THIRTY ONE. That’s a whole lotta bookage right there. I haven’t read that many books since…I don’t even know when. Probably since primary school. And I’ve learnt a few things along the way:
- My favourite genre to read is fiction.
- I really struggle to maintain interest in non-fiction. It needs to be short and snappy for my goldfish brain to maintain interest. I blame reading non-fiction day in, day out at uni.
- I’m slowly coming round to the idea that I don’t have to stick with a book if I am not enjoying it/if I feel it is a chore to read. So far that has happened with only two books – “The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared” and “A Girl is a Half-formed Thing”. Boy, was I in Struggle Town with those two.
- My favourite book to date has been The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan. I’m honest to god recommending it to everyone. You can check out my raving review here.
- I’m doing most of my reading in bed, typically before I go to sleep, but sometimes in the early hours too. Being tucked up in a cosy bed with a good book is one of the most satisfying feelings in the world, I reckon.
- My brain is enjoying reading. Whenever I have a spare block of time, my first thought is “Can I squeeze in some reading now??”. Before doctor’s appointments, when my (stupid, stupid) brain wakes me up at 5:20am, when I’m brushing my teeth. It’s becoming my default and that makes me happy.
I think I can actually achieve my goal, which is the best feeling ever, people! I’m already pretty proud of myself for reading so many and for staying on track. I was a little dubious when I started, to be honest. But, as I mentioned, it seems to be becoming a natural part of my day now. Stay tuned to see how I go!
A big thanks to Laura from The Lovely Jumble for providing me with the kick up the bum I needed to get this post published. High five, friend! Wanna read MORE? Check out the bloggers below who have also posted awesome updates on their reading so far this year:
- Laura from The Lovely Jumble
- Isabel from Nanjing Nian
- Reannon from She Who Rambles
- Clare from Girl Fifteen
- Catherine from Saint Cardigan
- Lisa from Lisa Berson
- Rebecca from The Magpie Diaries
- Inese from The Hipsterette
Reading. Is. Freakin’. AWESOME. Are you reading any great books? I’m always open to recommendations. I’m sure I’m bound to pick up some great ones from everyone else’s posts!